Music Is Nostalgic
Music is an emotional outlet. Listening to music you have a positive association with can boost your mood. Oftentimes we associate songs or artists with different events or memories in our life. Perhaps it's a song that reminds them of family or best friends. A song their family cleaned the house to for guests? A song their mom sang while cooking? Spend time with someone you're close to and learn what memories give them joy.
- Ask a friend, classmate, parent or sibling to find the name of a song they associate with a positive memory. Don’t let them tell you the memory — only the name of the song.
- Grab some pencils, paper and whatever drawing materials you have available to you.
- Listen to the song they gave you. While you’re listening, imagine a scene. Draw the scene and/or write a story while you listen.
- After you are done, have them tell you the story behind the song. Ask them how the song makes them feel. Share your scene with them. Is that scene you imagined similar to their memory? Do you feel you would associate the song with the memory they did? Did they have a different emotional reaction to the song than you did?
- Put the name of the song on the drawing you made and upload a photo of your scene using the submission form at the top of this page! You can even give the picture to the person who gave you the memory.