At a Loss For Words
Have you ever been at a loss for words? Trying to craft a message with the perfect amount of sarcasm, emotion, or razzle-dazzle can be seemingly impossible with words alone. Sometimes the word doesn't exist in our language as it does in others, and there is no simple translation. That is where you come in. Since our new normal is one with more virtual than physical, we have an increased need to supplement our speech. Now more than ever, we need to find ways to communicate our emotions through text accurately — and what better way to convey our feelings than by using emojis.
- Think of a feeling or emotion that does not have a single word to describe it. For example, the feeling you get after being at your Grandma's house for hours while she feeds you six meals, and you finally stand up for the first time. Or, that feeling you get when you wake up from what you thought was a twenty-minute nap, and it's been four hours, and you have pillow creases on your face. The idea is to fill gaps in our language – both textual and emoji-based – and allow us to express our thoughts and feelings with more nuance.
- Brainstorm names for your emotion. Be creative as you want! Look to other languages for inspiration, maybe even research root words to build your new word.
- Once you have your new word, it's time to start creating your accompanying emoji. Flip through the emojis on your devices or look at stickers on social media for inspiration. Ask yourself — should your emoji be a face, object, gesture, or abstracted image? Get creative with this!
- Choose colours and shapes that communicate your feeling.
- Share your new creation! Don't let all of your hard work go to waste. Draft a message to a friend or family member using your new emoji. Your text should illustrate your new emoji's meaning.
- Post a screenshot of your message with your emoji using the submission form at the top of this page!