Art You Can Eat
During the pandemic many of us are eating at home more. Sharing food — breaking bread together is vital to connection with others, especially family members during this unusual time. Food plays many roles in our lives — health, community, culture, tradition, pleasure, and connection. For some, the presentation of the food is as important as the taste and smell. With this prompt, we are combining the importance of presentation and nutrition. You will create art out of nutritious food.
- Ask a family member, roommate, or friend: What are your favorite fruits and vegetables? Plan a trip to the store, if you don’t already have their favorite fruits and vegetables at home.
- Think about (or ask) what makes your interviewee happy during these unusual times: Sports? Walking the dog? Reading? Surfing? Doing Puzzles? Bird Watching?
- Then think about how you might manipulate, modify and assemble their favorite fruits and veggies into a piece of art that resembles or represents something that makes them happy.
- Take a photo of your edible art and then give it to them as a gift.
- Post the photo of your edible art using the submission form at the top of this page!